How to make grated radish salad with tahini sauce; Tahinli turp salatasi?
Juicy, crunchy red radishes – turp, as we call in Turkey- add a lovely, punchy colour and a delightful peppery taste to dips and salads. In southern Turkey, in Adana region as well as in Antakya, we make a delicious, refreshing radish salad with a simple tahini sauce. We serve this Tahinli Turp Salatasi as part of a mezze spread, especially to accompany Oruk or Icli Kofte, our version of the Middle Eastern Kibbeh. Hope you enjoy it, Afiyet Olsun.
- 200 gr / 7 oz. red radishes, washed and pat dried
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed with salt and finely chopped
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 15 ml/ 1 tbsp. tahini, stirred
- 30 ml/ 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 5 ml/ 1 tsp. cumin
- 5 ml/ 1 tsp. red pepper flakes or chili flakes
- Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Flat leaf parsley to decorate
- Clean and pat dry the radishes. Trim off the stem end and tip, keep the skin.
Grate the radishes and place in a bowl. Sprinkle some salt over and let the moisture come out, for 5 minutes.
- Using an absorbent kitchen paper towel or clean tea towel, squeeze the grated radishes to get rid of the excess moisture. Later, place them in a serving bowl.
- To make the tahini sauce; combine the tahini, chopped garlic, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil in a small container and mix well. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste.
- Pour in this sauce over the grated radishes and combine well.
- Sprinkle the ground cumin and red pepper flakes over the radish salad with tahini and decorate with flat leaf parsley.
Make sure to give tahini a good stir before using it as it tends to separate.